Sunday, January 18, 2015

#1,429: Beyond Easy Crockpot Pulled Pork

This was not the recipe I intended to make for dinner the other night, but at the last minute decided to change my mind and let this one go all day in the crockpot (originally I was going to bake it with a different recipe).  I wasn't sure my family was going to love this as much as they did, but the girls (shockingly) really enjoyed this one.  They enjoyed it so much (and there was SO much of it leftover) that we decided to eat it again the second night.  (Plus there was still so much left, I made another recipe with it and froze it for a future meal.  I think we'll get at least 4 dinners out of this one!).  

The original recipe called for a pork butt roast, but I had a pork tenderloin defrosted so I just used that instead.  My family enjoyed this on toasted rolls/sliced bread.

4-5 lb pork butt roast
2 yellow onions, sliced

Dry Rub
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (I omitted)
2 teaspoons sea salt


Mix all dry rub ingredients together.  Rub the entire roast with the dry rub (you should use it all.)  Place a layer of onions on the bottom of your slow cooker.  Place the roast on top.  Put the rest of the sliced onions on top of the slow cooker.  Do not add liquid to this.

Cook the roast on high for 5-6 hours and then turn down to low for another 3-4 hours or until the roast is literally falling apart and easy to shred. (I cooked mine on low for about 9 hours)

1 comment: