Sunday, January 18, 2015

#1,430: Dairy Free Tomato Cream Sauce with Spaghetti Squash

My friend Jaime started a pinterest board with recipe for me to make first/try.  This is one of the recipes she pinned, and I'll be honest, I don't know if I would have made/tried this if she hadn't pinned it for me/us.  :)  BUT, this actually wasn't too bad!  I personally enjoy my spaghetti squash with some sort of protein (i.e. ground turkey) with it and like the spaghetti squash to be a secondary ingredient to the protein.  This recipe really makes the spaghetti squash the main ingredient.  If you are looking for a gluten-free, healthy alternative to pasta and you love cream sauces, you might really enjoy this one!  Although I didn't totally fall in love with this, I certainly ate my entire bowl full, so I must have at least enjoyed it a little.  LOL!!

I decided NOT to use the coconut milk, and had half-and-half on hand, so I used about half of the recommended amount it called for.  Obviously my personal serving was not dairy free, but if you used coconut milk it would be.  


1 Cup Heavy Coconut Cream from a Can
1 Cup Pizza Sauce or Marinara Sauce.
2 TBSP Butter 
4 1/2 Tsp Starch (Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch) (I used corn starch since that's what I had on hand)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 tsp Garlic Powder or more to taste
1 tsp Onion Powder or more to taste
5 Yellow Squash (Spiralized) (I used cooked spaghetti squash noodles)

In a saucepan combine the cream, pizza sauce, butter, starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder; heat until thickened, whisking the whole time; set aside. Don't worry, this sauce will be thick at first but when the squash noodles are added it will thin out.

Using a spiralizer make the Squash into noodles. Add in the Squash noodles into the sauce.
Lightly boil noodles in sauce until cooked through. (1-3 minutes).  After noodles have been added, make sure to taste and re-adjust seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment