Saturday, January 24, 2015

#1,443: Paleo Sweet Potato Chili (Crockpot Recipe)

How did I forget to add the onions in this recipe?!  I love red onion and add it in to recipes all the time.  I might have to go sautee some in a pan and add it in!  I halved this recipe and made it in the crockpot over night.  It's now ready for me to eat for lunch today....and for this week at school.  I love the sweetness the sweet potatoes add to this chili.  Next time I'm going to dice them up a little smaller next time though, I think I left them a tad too big for my liking.  Regardless, super yummy!

2 lbs. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 red onion, chopped (I omitted b/c I forgot to add them!)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 large can (29.5 oz) can tomato sauce
2 cups petite diced tomatoes, with juice
3 cups beef stock
3 carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4-5 cups)
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon thyme
2 tsp. salt
1½ teaspoons black pepper
½ cup chili powder (or to taste!!)
dash of oregano
dash of red pepper flakes

In a large saucepan, brown hamburger, onions and garlic. Drain off the fat. 

Add the cooked ground beef and onions, as well as all of the remaining ingredients to a crockpot.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment