Sunday, January 18, 2015

#1,431: Slow Cooker Herb Chicken

This is the kind of picture I get when I ask my hubby to take one when I'm not home.  Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a food photographer either, but mine turn out slightly better than this!  Oh well, at least there's a photo to go along with this review...right?  :)  

Sadly, this was the second attempt at this recipe!  I made it one morning before I left for work and when I got home, I couldn't smell it cooking in the crockpot...that was my first clue that something was wrong.  Then I looked into the crockpot and couldn't believe it wasn't finished cooking yet...that was when I noticed the on button was blinking and so were my clocks!  This chicken didn't stand a chance and the power went off less than an hour of us leaving for the day.  :(  What a waste!  So I sulked for the night then tried again two days later.  Thankfully the power stayed on this time.  In the 10 years that I've been married and cooking for my family (longer than that if you count when I was in college and single, and living with my sister!) this is the first time I've ever had a crockpot meal not turn out because the power went out.  Grrrr.

Anyhow, this was so simple to make, and we really enjoyed it a lot.  I will definitely be making this one again!


4 lb whole chicken
1 medium carrot
1 medium onion
3/4 cup homemade chicken broth
8 cloves of garlic, divided (2 minced and 6 whole)
3 Tbsp of oil or ghee
1 Tbsp diced rosemary
1 Tbsp diced sage
1 Tbsp diced thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste


Peel and roughly chop the carrot and the onion and place at the bottom of the slow cooker.  Also add the 6 whole cloves of garlic and the chicken stock to the bottom of the slow cooker.  Pat the chicken dry and rub with the oil.  (Yeah, I'm too lazy to do that so I just drizzled some olive oil lightly over the chicken after I put it into the crockpot). 

Season all parts of the chicken with salt and pepper (use the amount you prefer).  Rub the chicken with the spices and garlic and place the chicken in the slow cooker.  

Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is cooked through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment