Tuesday, August 6, 2013

#1,058: Coconut Coleslaw


Coleslaw seems to be one of my favorite salads this summer.  I think it's because the coleslaw mix I buy is ready to eat and lasts for several days without wilting. 

I will admit, I prefer a vinegar based coleslaw over a mayo based one.  If you like mayo-based coleslaws, then you should definitely try this.  I liked it, I didn't love it, but mayo lovers, you might really, really love this. 


4 cups green cabbage, shredded--about 1/2 head medium cabbage
2 carrots, shredded
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup mayonnaise (paleo-friendly)
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
2 Tbs dijon mustard
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice (about 1 lime's worth)
1/2 tsp sea salt--or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper

Spread coconut out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 3-5 minutes until lightly toasted and beginning to brown slightly...watch it carefully, that stuff will burn before you know it! Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, coconut milk, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add in the prepped vegetables and toasted coconut. Mix well to combine, until everything is evenly coated with the dressing. Refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment