Saturday, August 3, 2013

#1,052: Paleo Chili


Something did not go right with this recipe that I made from Paleo Plan.  Granted I made some modifications like not grilling my meat and not submerging it in water and simmering it for TWO hours.  That sounded completely ridiculous to me.  But I would have thought that these should have come out relatively the same.  They didn't.  You can see this by looking at the original photo and mine. 

Nevertheless, this is pretty darn good chili.  I don't know if I should call it chili though.  It doesn't remind me anything of my mom's chili we had growing up.  And it's not served on top of elbow noodles, with sour cream, shredded cheddar and oyster crackers either. 

I think this is more of a tomato ground beef (although I used turkey).  It's good.  I'm enjoying it.  It's not my favorite thing in the world, but I will enjoy eating this on top of shredded lettuce almost like a taco salad.  Today I ate this with fruit on the side.  It was really quite yummy. 

2 pounds lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 green bell pepper, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs olive or coconut oil
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs cumin, or to taste
1-1/2 Tbs chili powder, or to taste
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

(I skipped this step and browned my ground meat on the stovetop).  Light coals in grill. While coals are setting (30-45 minutes), form ground beef into large patties.  Grill patties over coals until medium rare, no more than 5 minutes on each side.

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot, and add freshly ground black pepper.  Add bell pepper and saute 5-7 minutes. Turn heat off and stir in minced garlic. 

Turn heat on high under soup pot, and place patties in with garlic, oil, and pepper mixture. Break up patties into small pieces with spatula and brown meat thoroughly. Add tomatoes.  Mash and break up tomatoes with spatula. Add enough water to cover all ingredients, reduce heat to low, and let simmer 2 hours or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment