Saturday, August 3, 2013

#1,053: Crockpot Style Gyros (Meatloaf)


I love gryos.  I don't care or want to know what's in them or how they are made.  I just love them.  And my oldest now loves them too.  So when I found this recipe for crockpot gryros I knew I had to try them.  Although before I even made them I could tell by the picture, it looked like meatloaf.  So that's what I told my family we were having for dinner.  I knew if I would have told Allison we were having gyros and then served here these, she would have been very upset (as I would have too).  I thought for sure, my family would eat these but request not to make this again.  I was wrong.  This is actually quite yummy.  Only Matthew and I enjoyed this with the homemade cucumber sauce on the side. I've made tzatziki sauce before and hated it, but I really liked this version. 

I was also shocked that my husband liked it.  SHOCKED.  He even wanted the leftovers to be saved for his lunch.  What?!  Guess we'll be making this one again.  As "gyros" you are supposed to serve this in a pita...obviously I didn't do that. 

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork or turkey
1 onion sliced
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons Greek seasoning

Place onion and garlic in the crock pot. Mix together meat and Greek seasoning. Form into two small loaves and place on top of onions and garlic.  Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until done

Sauce:
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
8 ounces of plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon of Greek seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.  Slice the meat and serve on pita or tortillas with shredded lettuce and yogurt sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment