Thursday, August 1, 2013

#1,046: Whole30 Burrito Bowl


I've been looking to make this recipe most of the summer.  Originally, I was just going to make this with leftover taco meat, but decided that wasn't fair to the original recipe and I probably should make it closer to "as is" so I could give it an honest, more authentic review.  I made this today for my lunch.  Although I didn't love it, I liked it a lot.  I think I would have enjoyed this over regular shredded cabbage instead of the broccoli slaw.  In fact, that's probably how I will eat it next time. 
 
2 Tablespoons of avocado oil or olive oil
3 cups of broccoli slaw
1 cup of chopped onions, bell pepper, and celery (1 cup total)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of petite diced tomatoes
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 Tablespoon of chili powder

2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
Cilantro, chopped for garnish

Saute’ broccoli slaw, onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in 1 Tablespoon of avocado oil for 5-8 minutes. Set aside when crisp tender.


Brown beef. Add tomatoes, green chilies, and spices. Stir to combine. Add a little water if needed.
Assemble bowls. Put a layer of veggies, top with meat sauce. Then top with cilantro. Other toppings could include salsa, green onions, avocado, jalapeños.

No comments:

Post a Comment