Sunday, April 24, 2011

#249: Cinnamon Rolls

I came across this blog some time last year and occasionally go back to it to find new, healthy recipes.  So when I wanted something to make for my family for Easter Breakfast, I came across these "healthy" cinnamon rolls and figured my family would be happy to try out this recipe!! 


Here's a tip though....if the recipe has a "sneaky" healthy ingredient in it (ie pear baby food), do not, I repeat DO NOT leave the recipe out for your husband or kids to read ahead of time.  Lesson learned.  (PS...you can't taste it at all).

Okay, these got a little over done.  Next time I would probably cook them covered at least for part of the time.  I might have also had a mishap with the frosting...as you can probably tell by the look of it.  It was a little "chunky" but the family didn't seem to notice.  :)   Overall, these were a little dry but not bad.  If I am going to eat cinnamon rolls, I want good, moist, buttery cinnamon rolls, and this is not what that was.  They were good, but not great. I'd make them again as a healthier choice to cinnamon rolls, but I'd rather have the unhealthy ones instead!


2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 package rapid-rise yeast
2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup very warm water (120º F to 130º F)
6-ounce jar pear baby food
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (I used more like 2/3 cups)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (I used about 1/4 c!)
3/4 cup raisins (I omitted)


1 recipe Powdered Sugar Icing (recipe below)


In large bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, the granulated sugar, undissolved yeast, dry milk and salt. Stir in water and baby food. Stir in egg whites, whole-wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make soft dough. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Roll dough to 18- by 12-inch rectangle. Brush honey on dough; sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Beginning at long end,roll up tightly; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Place, cut sides up, in greased 13- by 9-inch baking pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes. Bake at 375º F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Drizzle with powdered sugar icing.
Makes 12 rolls


Powdered Sugar Icing:
In a small bowl, combine the following ingredients and mix until smooth.
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons nonfat milk (I read this as powdered milk...nope, it doesn't work if you use that!)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

No comments:

Post a Comment