Saturday, April 16, 2011

#241: Chili-Mac Skillet


Except for the kidney beans, this recipe went over well with my family.  I would definitely make this recipe again!  This recipe came from the Better Homes and Gardens Family Favorites Made Light cookbook that I swapped at our cookbook swap. 

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onions (I used about 1/4 c)
1 15-1/2-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used 1/3 of a can)
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce (I used 15 oz...I couldn't try and add in kidney beans AND tomato chunks.  The family would have rebelled!)
1 7-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up (I omitted)
1/8 c orange puree (sweet potatoes and carrots)
1/2 cup elbow macaroni
1/4 cup water
1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder (I omitted)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (2 ounces)

In a large skillet cook meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender. Drain off fat.
Stir in beans, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, uncooked macaroni, water, chili peppers, chili powder, and garlic salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or till macaroni is tender, stirring often. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and heat about 2 minutes more or till cheese is melted. Makes 6 servings.

When I made this on my freezer cooking day, I did everything except add the macaroni.  The day we wanted to eat it, I reheated in the microwave and made some macaroni noodles while it was heating up.  Then I just tossed it all together and served.

No comments:

Post a Comment