Friday, April 22, 2011

#244: Macaroni and Beef Skillet

Apparently I forgot to take a picture of this one!  Sorry!

This recipe came out of one of my sneaky chef cookbooks.  I'm giving you the recipe as I made it on my freezer cooking day, because I made some changes to the original recipe and directions.  Overall we enjoyed this one.  It's a lot like a hamburger helper type meal, only better and healthier.  We would eat this again!

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 lb ground turkey
2 cloves minced garlic
1 c orange puree (sweet potatoes and carrots)
1 c spaghetti sauce
1/2 c lentil puree (I was too lazy to make this so I omitted)
1 c chicken or veggie broth

salt and pepper
Sautee the onions in the olive oil until translucent.  Add turkey, stirring to break up and cook until no longer pink.  Stir in the garlic, orange puree, spaghetti sauce, lentil puree, and broth.  Season with salt and pepper.  Let cool then freeze until ready to use. 

When you are ready to make this, let the meat mixture thaw in the fridge overnight.  Cook 2 cups of uncooked macaroni noodles according to package directions.  Meanwhile, reheat the meat mixture either in the microwave on in a saucepan.  When noodles are cooked, drain and add to the reheated meat mixture.  Stir to combine.  Top with grated parmesan if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment