Saturday, April 2, 2011

#221: Beefy BBQ Macaroni


This was a recipe given to me by my friend Jenny.  I saw her eating it one day at lunch and it primarily consisted of ground beef and noodles, so I figured my family would love it.  I liked this one, but sadly, the others weren't huge fans.  I think the BBQ Sauce was a bit overpowering for them.  In fact, Brian was very reluctant to eat this until I told him what was in it.  Their reviews though should not discourage you from trying it...I thought it was good!

3/4 lb ground beef
1/2 c chopped onion (I used about 1/4 c)
3 cloves minced garlic
3 c cooked elbow macaroni
3/4 c BBQ sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
Dash cayenne pepper (I used a few red pepper flakes)
1/4 c milk
1 tbsp butter
1 c shredded cheddar
Additional cheddar optional for topping (I omitted)


In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the macaroni, barbecue sauce, pepper and cayenne.

In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in cheese until melted. Pour over the macaroni mixture; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
 
When I made this on my freezer cooking day, I cooked the beef with the onion and garlic and then added it to a bowl with all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT THE NOODLES.  I let thaw in the fridge over night; boiled the noodles right before we ate them; and reheated the beef mixture in the microwave.  Then I tossed the reheated meat mixture with the freshly cooked noodles and served. 

No comments:

Post a Comment