Saturday, April 2, 2011

#222: Tijuana Lasagna

This is quite yummy.  It probably would have been better if I didn't freeze it ahead of time, but it was still quite good non-the-less.  As you can see I topped mine with sour cream, tomatoes and cilantro...an absolute must! :)  I got this recipe out of my Sneaky Chef cookbook...and no one had any idea any of this was in there.  If you asked my family, it was a layered taco meat/shell/corn dinner.  NOT!


1 tbsp olive oil (I omitted)
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef (I used turkey)
3/4 c salsa (I used picante sauce)
1/2 c orange puree (sweet potato and carrot mixture)
1/4 wheat germ (I used wheat bran)
4 corn tortillas (I used 3 flour tortillas)
1 c shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
1 c frozen corn (I used about 1/2 c)
1 packet taco seasoning
1/4 c refried beans
1/3 c water

For the sauce:
1/4 c orange puree (sweet potato and carrot mixture)
3/4 c salsa (I used picante sauce)
1/2 tsp each cumin and chili powder (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 or 10 in glass pie pan w/oil (I used a metal pie pan).  Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep skillet.  Add the onions and cook until they are slightly translucent, about 10 min.  Add the beef, stirring to break it up, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.  Stir in the salsa, puree, wheat germ, some pepper, corn and beans, if using.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 more minutes.  While the meat mixture is simmering, mix the ingredients for the sauce in a separate mixing bowl. 

To assemble:
Spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of the prepared pie plate.  Place 1 tortilla on top of the sauce.  Spread 1/2 c of the meat mixture evenly over the tortilla.  Sprinkle with 1/4 c cheese.  Place another tortilla on top of the cheese, then repeat steps 3 and 4  two more times.  Finish by topping with remaining tortilla and spread the remaining sauce over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. 

Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 5 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.  Let stand a few minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment