Sunday, April 10, 2011

#235: Struesel Coffee Cake


Here's another recipe I found in a cookbook I got when we did our recipe swap.  It's from Better Homes and Garden's Family Favorites Made Light.  I made this coffee cake for the girls to take to school with them this week.  It was very easy to make and I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the walnuts.  It doesn't make very much though (I put it in a 8x8 pan) so if you were making this for a family breakfast or for company I would probably double it.  I omitted the walnuts too because I was serving this to young children.

This isn't the best "coffee cake" I've ever eaten, not by any means.  It's more like a bread with a cinnamon-sugar topping.  It could definitely use a little moisture...maybe some butter on it.  If I make this again I might try putting some dough on the bottom, add the cinnamon sugar mix in the middle, top with more dough and then add more cinnamon-sugar mixture on top too. 

3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp margarine
1/4 c finely chopped walnuts (I omitted)
1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar

2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c skim milk
1 egg white (slightly beaten)
3 tbsp cooking oil

Spray 9x9x2 in ch pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.


Topping; In a small bowl combine brown sugar, 1 tbsp flour, and cinnamon.  Cut in margarine until crumbly.  Stir in walnut and set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl stir remaining flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In another bowl mix together milk, egg white and oil.  Add to the flour mixture and combine until moistened.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Sprinkle the struesel topping over batter.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 min or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Serve warm.  Makes 9 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment