Sunday, April 17, 2011

#242: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


I found this recipe at Eat Better America, and made these for the girls to take with them to daycare.  We almost always have bananas in our house and they go brown so quickly, so I just freeze them and save for recipes like this. 

I thought these were good but a bit chewy.  It could be all of the changes I made to the original recipe though.  I would make these again but they definitely aren't my favorite banana muffin I've ever had or made.


1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour (I used 1 c all-purpose and 2/3 c whole wheat)
2/3 cup sugar (I used 1/3 c)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
3 egg whites
1/4 cup canola oil (I used unsweetened applesauce)
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Topping (I totally forgot to do this step!)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 375°F. Spray bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups. (I used mini-muffin tins)

In large bowl, mix flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt.  In medium bowl, beat bananas, egg whites, oil, milk and vanilla with fork until smooth. Stir into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Gently stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.

In small bowl, mix topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.  Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until light golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove muffins from pan to cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment