Saturday, April 2, 2011

#220: Beef, Potato Vegetable Pasties

This is a half of one so you could see the inside.
Anything wrapped in pie crust has to taste good right?  Right?!  Who knew beef and potatoes encased in a pie crust would taste good....but it does.  I made these as a freezer meal while Brian and the girls were at the Children's Museum.  When they got home, they were cooling on the stove so I cut one in half for the girls to eat (I figured I could spare one!).  I convinced Brian not to eat any for lunch so he could have leftovers during the week, but then Allison asked for seconds.  : )  Our future dinner was starting to dwindle quickly.


Fast forward a few weeks:  I thawed the remaining pasties in the fridge overnight and then baked them in a 350 degree oven (losely covered with foil so they wouldn't over-brown) for about 20 minutes until they were heated through.  I wasn't so sure Brian would actually enjoy this because he "does NOT like pie" and I thought the pie crust would be too much for him, but he liked these!  AND he took the leftovers for lunch (although he says they were not as crispy reheated in the microwave). 

Ground Beef Pasties
1 lb. ground beef (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey)
1 onion, diced
5-6 medium-sized red potatoes, cubed (I used about 3 russet potatoes diced pretty small)
2 c. diced veggies (I only put veggies in mine and I used about 1/2 c frozen mixed veggies)
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
Homemade pie crust or store-bought (I used 2 pie crusts each cut into 4 pieces)
1 egg yolk, beaten
1/4 T. butter or margarine (I omitted)
1/4 c. flour (I omitted)
2 c. beef stock, broth or bullion cubes (I omitted)
2 t. Worcestershire sauce (I omitted)
1 t. Italian seasoning (I omitted)


1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and fresh veggies, if using. Stir in seasonings. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. (If using frozen veggies, stir into skillet shortly before removing from heat.) Cool.

2. Roll out dough into a circle, about the size of a small plate. (If using store bought dough, cut each piece of dough into fourths and roll into a circle.) Place about 1/3 c. beef filling into the center of each dough circle. Fold over, seal and roll edges.

3. Brush each pasty with beaten egg yolk and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden and pie crust is fully cooked. 

I never did the following:
4. While pasties cook, melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in beef stock, bring to a slow boil and boil until thickened. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning.  Serve pasties with gravy on the side for dipping or poured on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment