Sunday, April 10, 2011

#231: Gyro Pizza


I found this recipe on Betty Crocker's website months ago.  I filed it away and hoped to make it for dinner some time, but trying to change up Brian's cheese pizza is not as easy task.  So when we were having a girls night in I figured that might be a better time to try this recipe.  The original recipe calls for ground turkey, but when I was talking about this recipe with my co-workers, it was suggested to use real gyro meat instead.  Thanks to Erin, I learned that I can go to my local gyro spot and order 3/4 lb of gyro meat!!  I was SO excited to learn that and go pick it up (for $2.20 I might add!).  Thank you Erin!!

This was fabulous (or at least I thought so!)  The change of using real gyro meat was such a great idea!!!  TRY THIS!!
1 can (13.8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated classic pizza crust

1/2 lb lean (at least 90%) ground turkey (I used 1/2 lb gyro meat, chopped)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I omitted)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I omitted)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tbsp dill

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped cucumber
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
4 thin slices red onion (diced)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Press pizza dough in bottom and slightly up sides of pan to form crust. Bake about 7 minutes or until crust just begins to turn brown on edges.


Meanwhile, in 6-inch skillet, cook turkey and garlic over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in oregano and salt.

Combine sour cream and dill.  Spread sour cream mixture over warm crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Evenly top cheese with chopped gyro meat. Sprinkle with cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and the feta cheese.  Bake 13 to 14 minutes or until edges of crust are golden brown and cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment