Friday, April 22, 2011

#245: Mexican Stuffed Peppers


I found this recipe in one of my Kraft Foods Magazines.  Have you noticed there have been several recipes from that magazine?  If you do not subscribe to it yet, I highly recommend it!  Anyhow, we like stuffed peppers...or at least most of the members of this family like the filling of stuffed peppers, so I figured we'd try this version to shake things up a bit. :) 

Although we enjoyed this (Chloe didn't enjoy this as much as everyone else, but she's my slightly pickier ground meat eater...just depends on her mood!), I do enjoy Jaime's Stuffed Peppers more.  So I would make this again, but it's not my favorite way to eat stuffed peppers. 
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning Mix
1-1/4 cups water, divided
1 small tomato, chopped
1/2 cup instant white rice, uncooked
2 large red peppers
1/4 cup Thick 'N Chunky Medium Salsa (I omitted)
3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided

Heat oven to 400ºF.  Brown meat with onions in skillet on medium heat. Stir in taco seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil; simmer on low heat 5 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup of the remaining water into remaining seasoned meat in skillet. Add tomatoes; mix well. Bring to boil. Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 min. Meanwhile, cut tops off peppers; discard tops and seeds. Mix salsa and remaining water in bottom of 9-inch square baking dish. Stand peppers in baking dish.

Add 1/2 cup cheese to meat mixture; stir. Spoon into peppers; top with remaining cheese. Cover.  Bake 35 to 40 min. or until peppers are tender. Serve with sauce from baking dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment