Saturday, April 16, 2011

#240: Veggie Tortilla Soup


I randomly saw that my friend Andi liked a facebook page called 100 Days of Real Food.  I was totally intrigued by this post so  I checked out the link.  As I looked through her website, I started finding some really yummy looking recipes.  I came across this one and knew it would be perfect to make and take for lunches during the week.  By the way, this is what Rachel Ray would call a "stoup" (combo between a soup and a stew).  This gets very thick as it sits.


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion
2 bell peppers (any color) (I used 3)
1 – 2 hot peppers (optional) (I omitted)
1 zucchini
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (I used 1/2 tsp Old Bay)
¼ teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh if it is in-season)
3 cloves garlic
1 28-oz can organic stewed tomatoes (I used petite diced)
1 8-oz can organic tomato sauce
2 – 3 cups chicken stock, depending on how “soupy” you like it (I used 3 c vegetable broth because I had some left over in the fridge)
Optional (but recommended) garnishes: avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, cilantro (I used all of these!)

Chop the onion, peppers, and zucchini into ½” pieces. Dice the garlic.  Heat the oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Toss in the onions.  After a couple of minutes add the peppers and zucchini. Flavor with the spices and stir the veggies until they start to soften.

Add the frozen corn (no need to defrost) and garlic since these don’t take as long to cook.  After the corn heats up add the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken stock.  Bing to a boil then turn down to low. Simmer for a few minutes or until you are ready to eat. Ladle into bowls, top with garnishes, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment