Thursday, April 7, 2011

#229: Butternut Squash Chili

I found a recipe for Sweet-Potato and Black-Bean Chili in my family fun magazine.  I didn't have any sweet potatoes on hand, but I did have a large butternut squash, so I thought maybe I could interchange them.  So I googled "butternut squash chili"and came across this recipe.  My recipe below is pretty much a combo of the two.


1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans
1/2 large butternut squash, peeled & cubed
2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2/3 cup frozen corn
chopped cilantro


Microwave the squash in a microwave safe container losely covered with plastic wrap.  Cook on high for 3 minutes.  Meanwhile, sautee onions in olive oil until translucent.  Add in diced tomatoes, kidney beans, squash, broth, garlic and spices; bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.  Stir in corn and cilantro and cook 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili is thickened.  The soup thickens after it cools down.

2 comments: