Sunday, March 27, 2011

#219: Tex-Mex Chicken and Barley Soup (my way)


I found this recipe in one of the books I got from my cookbook swap (thanks Kim!).  The book is called Getting Thin and Loving Food...let's be honest, I partly swapped for the book because of the title.  Anyhow, I found this soup recipe and figured I'd give it a try.  You are supposed to make this in a soup pot on the stove.  That required too much work, so I threw it all in the crockpot instead.

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced (I used about 15 baby carrots diced)
6 c chicken brother or water (I used chicken broth)

3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 c barley (I used quick cooking)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced (I omitted...I'm still mad at avocados for ruining my salad a few days ago!)

1/4 chopped cilantro
1 lime (cut into 6 wedges) (I used some juice and just squeezed it into the crockpot)

I'm not giving you the stove top directions...there is too much to type.  You get my version instead!

In a small pan, sautee onion and carrot in olive oil until they begin to get a little soft.  Meanwhile in a crockpot add chicken broth, chicken, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Add sauteed onion and carrots.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken and shred with two forks.  Return to crockpot to reheat.  Add barley.  Chop cilantro and add to the crockpot along with lime juice.  Continue to cook on high until barley is fully cooked.  (Mine took about another 10 mintues).  Ladel into bowls and top with avocado (which I did not do).  Serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment