Saturday, March 12, 2011

#203: Chocolate Banana Muffins


I found this "healthy" recipe on FaveDiets.com...but I decided to make mine a little less healthy.  : )  I have tried multiple times to cook with whole wheat flour and it really changes the texture and taste, so I often will combine all-purpose with whole wheat flour...and that's what I did with this recipe.  The original recipe also called for a sugar substitute.  I substituted alright!  Don't get me wrong, I am a lover of Splenda.  I put 10 packs in my large coffee, and in fact, I have 2 large boxes in my pantry right now.  However, Splenda is expensive!!  I'm not going to waste that in muffins!  I also didn't notice that I was totally out of white sugar, so I had to substitute brown sugar in place too.  : ) Anyhow, these came out great!  The girls really enjoyed them and will be sharing with their friends at school on Monday.

1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (I used 1 c all-purpose and 3/4 c whole wheat)
1/2 cup sugar substitute suitable for baking (I used brown sugar)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate or carob chips (carob chips...yeah right!  I used semi-sweet)
2 egg whites
1/4 cup light cooking oil
1/4 cup skim milk (I forgot to add this!! I guess it didn't need it)
1 cup bananas, mashed (3 medium) (I used 2 1/2)

1.Measure first five ingredients into large bowl. Mix thoroughly and make a well in center.
2.Beat egg whites until frothy. Mix in oil, milk and banana.
3.Pour egg white mixture into well. Stir only to moisten. Batter will be lumpy.
Okay, let's be honest here...I did NOT make a well in the center, forgot the milk, and mixed until it was totally all combined--not just until moistened.  And the only reason my batter was lumpy was because of the chocolate chips.  I suppose if you followed all of the above directions this could possibly turn out even better than it did!)

4.Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  (I made mini-muffins and baked for about 12 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment