Tuesday, March 15, 2011

#207: Harvest Chicken & Potatoes

The original recipe was supposed to be more like a stew.  My family doesn't eat stew (I do, but not the others), so I left the chicken in "chicken tender" size pieces and cooked it that way instead.  My girls are not big potato fans (unless they come in a fry or chip form) so they mainly at just the chicken.  Brian and I enjoyed this though.  The chicken was moist and juicy...just the was I like it!  This was very easy to prepare, so I will definitely make this again!
 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces (or leave in tender size pieces!)
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved (I used russet and cut into big chunks)
2 cups baby carrots, cut into thirds (I left mine whole)
2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I omitted)
1 large onion, chopped (I cut into 2 pieces)
1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (I omitted)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage (I used dried rosemary)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened (I omitted)

In a medium-size bowl, stir together chicken, 2 tablespoons of the flour, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper; add to slow cooker. Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, the sage and broth. (I put the carrots and half of the potatoes on the bottom, topped that with the chicken, and then added the rest of the potatoes). 
Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6 hours. (My chicken was still partially frozen and cooked on low for 9 hours) 



(I completely omitted this step.  I did however pour some of the chicken broth over the chicken and potatoes to keep them moist.) In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon flour and the butter until a paste forms. Push the chicken and veggies to one side and whisk paste, remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and thyme into slow cooker bowl. Cook 1 more hour or until thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment