Saturday, March 5, 2011

#188: Egg and Potato Quesadilla


I don't really like eggs.  I WANT to like eggs and I can tolerate them if they have cheese on them, but it's not a breakfast food I regularly eat.  When I asked Brian what he wanted on our dinner menu this month he said, "Pizza, Spaghetti and Breakfast."  Breakfast to him and the girls = waffles.  Breakfast to me is some sort of sausage and biscuit casserole.  :)  And since I love trying new recipes, I knew I would not just have waffles or pancakes that night.  So I started googling easy, healthy breakfast recipes and found one for Egg and Potato Burritos.  Unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of flour tortillas, but I LOVE corn tortillas (which do not work well with burritos--they break!).  So I turned this recipe into a quesadilla instead!

I loved this breakfast.  I can't wait to eat it again! (The recipe below serves 1 and include all of the changes/alterations I made to the original recipe from Taste of Home)
1/4 cup frozen potatoes
1/3 green onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/8 c diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
salt and pepper to taste
2 corn tortillas
1/8 c shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese


In a large nonstick skillet, cook potatoes and onions in oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.


In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir until eggs are completely set. Remove from the heat.


Place 1 tortilla in a heated pan, sprinkle with cheese.  Top with potato and egg mixture.  Place a second tortilla on top.  Bake over low-medium heat for about 3 minutes.  Flip over and continue warming/browning other side.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment