Saturday, March 12, 2011

#204: Crockpot Minestrone Soup


Look at that big bowl of healthiness!

I'm pretty sure I found this recipe in one of my taste of home magazines, but it's been ripped out and filed away for quite a while, so I'm not 100% sure!  I'm finding that unless a soup is some form of chicken tortilla, I'm not in love with it.  This recipe is good (and healthy) don't get me wrong, but it's not my favorite.  I will however, be eating it most days for lunch this week, so maybe it will grow on me!

4 medium tomatoes chopped (I used a can of petite diced)
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
(I used 1)1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced (I used a half of one)
1 1/2 c shredded cabbage (I used about 1/2 c)
16 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 c cooked elbow macaroni (I used small shells--and added about 1/4 c to each bowl)
5 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese (I omitted)


In a slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.  Just before serving, stir in noodles and heat through.  Serve with Parmesan Cheese (if desired).

The soup (with out noodles or cheese) is 3 ww+ points for six large servings.  If you add 1/4 c cooked elbow noodles to your bowl, it becomes 5 points per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment