Wednesday, March 23, 2011

#216: Guacamole Salad---sort of


Last week I had a cookbook swap with some friends.  Several of the last few recipes I've posted have come from one (or more) of the cookbooks I swapped for.  This is a recipe I got out of one of Rachel Ray's cookbooks.  It was SUPPOSED to have avocado in it.  I didn't get it at the grocery store on Sunday because the avocados were $2 each!  That's insane.  So today I really wanted to eat this with our enchiladas and went to a different store to get one and still paid $1.50 but it was so under-ripe I could barely cut into it.  In fact, when I finally did cut through it I realized I cut right through the pit!!  I tried eating it, but did you know an under ripe avocado is disgusting?!  So I ditched the avocado and made it with most of the remaining ingredients.  I LOVED it.  It would be better w/the avocado but it was still delicious!  In fact, I ended up eating this almost like a salsa.  YUM!  YUM!!


2 medium haas avocados, pitted and sliced (I omitted...this time!)
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, sliced (I sauteed mine a little first because I'm not a huge fan of raw onions)
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I omitted)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, chopped
A few drops hot sauce (I omitted)
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil


Directions
Arrange vegetables on platter. Mix lemon and garlic, hot sauce and salt. Stream in extra-virgin olive oil while whisking dressing. Pour lemon dressing over the salad and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment