Sunday, March 6, 2011

#198: Stuffed Manicotti


I have some bulk pork sausage in my freezer and I was looking for recipes to use it up, when I came across this recipe.  I decided to use half of the amount of sausage to make it a little healthier though.  You could make this much easier too if you use bottled spaghetti sauce!  But I had everything on hand to make my own, so I did (with a few additions).

We really enjoyed this, and although the flavor of sausage is unexpected, it is quite good.  Although you could easily substitute ground beef/turkey in its place!

For Sauce:
2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce

1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1/4 c. water
1/2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp dried basil (fresh would be best, but I didn't have any)

crushed red pepper (to taste)

For Filling:
1/2 lb. mild bulk pork sausage


1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
3 c. shredded Mozzarella cheese (I used 1 3/4 c)
1 egg
1 tsp. parsley flakes

12 manicotti noodles, cooked, rinsed, drained
Grated Parmesan (I used 1/3 c mozzarella)


Brown sausage, drain. Set aside.
In a saucepan, stir tomato sauce, paste, water and brown sugar (and seasonings!).  Simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in bowl, combine sausage, ricotta, 2 cups Mozzarella, egg and parsley.
In 9x13x2 inch baking dish (I used two 8x8 pans--6 shells in each), pour 1/3 of sauce mixture. Stuff manicotti noodles with ricotta mixture and place on top of sauce. Pour remaining sauce over stuffed noodles. Top with remaining Mozzarella, sprinkle with Parmesan (I omitted). Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

I made two 8x8 pans: 1 for us to each for dinner tonight and one to freeze for later.  To freeze, prepare as directed, cover w/foil and freeze.  When ready to eat, let thaw in the fridge overnight, then bake covered for 45 minutes or until heated through.  Remove foil last 10 mintues of baking so the cheese can brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment