Sunday, March 27, 2011

#218: Monkey Bars


I got this recipe from my Sneaky Chef cookbook and I made them for the girls to take to school on Monday.  I was a little worried about this recipe; I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  I actually really like these!!  I doubled the recipe and made this is a 9x13 pan.  It is suggested to drizzle melted white chocolate on top, and I intended to drizzle some semi-sweet choc chips on top, but I got lazy.  These are very moist and I can't stop thinking about the thin row of bar I just ate, so hopefully these will last until the girls take them to school.  :) Just kidding...I'll have to box them up so I'm not tempted. 

5 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Orange Puree (sweet potato and carrots)
2 large bananas, mashed with the back of a fork (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, for dusting (I omitted)
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
3/4 cup Flour Blend (I used 1 c all purpose flour, 1/2 c whole wheat flour and about 1/4 c wheat bran)
Optional Decoration: 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted in microwave

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Butter or spray only the bottom, not the sides, of an 11x7-in or 9-in square baking pan. Lightly dust with flour.  In a saucepan over medium -low heat, melt the butter, sugar, and salt. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool a bit. Once cool, whisk in the Orange Puree, bananas, vanilla, and egg yolks. Add the oats and Flour Blend and mix until just combined. Pour the entire mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 37 to 39 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in pan before cutting into approximately 3-in bars.

 If desired, dust with powered sugar when cool, or drizzle melted white chocolate in a striped pattern across the tops of the bars.

Keeps for a week in the refrigerator, covered tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment