Saturday, March 5, 2011

#191: Ham and Cheese Muffins


I was a little leery of making these muffins.  1.  Ham in a muffin is a little weird.  2.  The recipe got mixed reviews.  But I had some ham that needed to get used up, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try making a half-batch and seeing what we thought of these. 

Actually though, we enjoyed this one.  Allison had two as soon as they came out of the oven and Chloe snuck one off the cooling rack...can you consider it "sneaking" though, when she grabs one and yells "YEAH!"  And in fact, as I write this, Chloe is running around the house (naked) with a muffin in each hand. 


It looks like I'll have to make another batch of these before Monday so the girls can take them to school and share with their friends.

1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour (I used 2 1/2 cups)

1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (I omitted)
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 1/4 Cups Buttermilk (I made my own)
2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey (I used syrup)
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 Cup Ham, chopped fine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.  In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil and maple syrup and stir to combine.  Add the buttermilk to the egg mixture and stir.

Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and stir until just combined.  Fold in the cheese and ham.  Scoop the batter 2/3 of the way up into greased muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (15 minutes if using mini muffin cups).  Cool on a wire rack and serve.
(PS...this would be fabulous served with freshly whipped butter)

4 comments:

  1. Tracy you should start putting new spins on these recipes and try out for FoodNetwork's next star (no, I'm not joking). It sounds and looks like you're having a great time on your food adventure.:)
    Ally Ski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ally! :) I WISH I could come up with recipes on my own...I just adjust/adapt/change them to fit my mood, what we have, and what my family will eat. (PS...love that show though!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you figure out the points on this one?

    ReplyDelete