Sunday, May 1, 2011

#250: Macaroni and Beef Skillet

If you can't tell by the "orange puree", I found this recipe in my Sneaky Chef Cookbook (Sneaky Chef to the Rescue).  As usual, no one suspected there were carrots and sweet potatoes in this.  They probably would have figured out the lentil puree had I used it (my family is used to dissecting anything I put in front of them because they know it probably has something healthy in it!). 

Well my family enjoyed this (particularly Allison!), but it wasn't anything super special.  We would definitely eat it again though.  I made the meat mixture on my freezer cooking day, then let thaw in the fridge overnight.  We made the noodles separately and added them in to the reheated meat.  This was very easy to make and prepare for dinner! 


1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c orange puree (sweet potatoes and carrots)
1 c marinara sauce
1/2 c lentil puree (I was too lazy to make this, so I omitted)
1 c chicken or vegetable broth
2 c uncooked macaroni
salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan, optional (I omitted)

Heat oil over medium heat in a deep skillet.  Add the onions and cook until they are slightly translucent, about 10 minutes.  Add the turkey, stirring to break up and cook until no longer pink.  Stir in the garlic, orange puree, marinara sauce, lentil puree, broth and macaroni.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20-30 min, or until pasta is tender.  Season w/salt and pepper, and top w/grated parmesan if desired.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I found your site while looking for reviews on the Sneaky Chef to the Rescue. I played around with those recipes this week, but didn't try the Macaroni & Beef Skillet. Way to go on all of your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Kim! I hope you are able to find other recipes to try here as well.

    ReplyDelete