Sunday, May 1, 2011

#253: Veggie Pot Stickers


I really, really wanted to like
this recipe (also found in my recent Parents Magazine).  I am not a huge frozen spinach lover unless it is in the form of spinach dip or mixed with cheese and artichokes.  But, I still figured I'd give this one a try.  Chloe wouldn't even pick hers up, and Allison just wanted to try the dipping sauce, which she did and then replied, "my tongue is burning."  These take a little effort to put together...a little more effort than I have time for!...but I couldn't get past the huge bunch of cooked spinach I was eating.  I would make these again if I had some extra time and it didn't include spinach though.  But for this recipe as is, sadly I would not make this again. 

3 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce

2 Tbs. rice vinegar
1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
16 wonton wrappers
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
3 Tbs. finely shredded carrot
3 Tbs. fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed

1. In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and ginger. Set aside.


2. Place a wonton wrapper on a work surface. Spoon about 1 teaspoon spinach and 1/2 teaspoon each carrot and corn in the center of the wrapper for triangles or on one side of the wrapper for rectangles. Drizzle vegetables with about 1/4 teaspoon of the remaining soy sauce.

3. Bring a large pot of water to boiling. Brush the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold the corners together for triangles or fold the edges together for rectangles. Pinch the edges to seal well. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling ingredients. Gradually add the dumplings to the water using a slotted spoon. Boil the dumplings gently for 3 minutes. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon to a serving platter, draining the water off well. Serve warm with dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment