Sunday, May 15, 2011

#271: Spring Vegetables

I found this recipe in my Family Circle Magazine (along with scallops, but I just ignored that part of the recipe.  I had the snap peas and peppers on hand, and I love roasted asparagus, so I figured this would be an interesting new recipe to try.  I wasn't sure I was going to be a total fan of this though because the veggies were basically "boiled" in chicken broth but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Chloe also really enjoyed the asparagus!! 

1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (I used about 1 clove...6 sounded like a lot!)
1 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
2 pounds asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces, woody ends removed
1 large leek, rinsed and sliced (I omitted)
2 red sweet peppers, diced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (I used dried)
2 teaspoons garlic-pepper seasoning (such as McCormick), plus more for serving (I omitted)

In a large 8-quart pot, bring broth to a simmer; add garlic and simmer for 1 minute. Add snap peas, asparagus and leek. Cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Stir in red pepper, thyme, 1 teaspoon of the garlic-pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, covered, 1 minute. Remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment