Sunday, May 1, 2011

#254: Southwest Meatloaf

We are a meatloaf loving family.  It is so easy to make and generally low in WW points.  I found this recipe on a website/blog that posts a lot of weight watcher recipes so I figured we'd give it a try.  I was a little leery about the onions and peppers, but I can typically cut them small enough that my family doesn't notice them.  That was NOT the case with this recipe.  Even I was picking out the chunks of onion.  The girls only at a few bites and Brian claims it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be, and he IS taking it for leftovers tomorrow so that's a good sign, but I personally, will not make this recipe again.  If you like onions though, you might love this!

16 ounces ground turkey
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 3/4 cup Hunt's chunky tomato sauce -- (one 15-oz. can) divided. see recipe
1 1/2 teaspoon chili seasoning
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar Twin (I just used brown sugar)
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with olive oil-flavored cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine meat, cornmeal, onion, green pepper, 1/4 cup tomato sauce and chili seasoning. Mix well to combine. Pat mixture into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, Brown Sugar Twin, parsley flakes, and garlic. Pour mixture evenly over meat loaf. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.

1/6 of this = 3 ww+ pts

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight and I really enjoyed it. Curt was so so about it; not thinking he will ask for it again. I had leftovers for breakfast this morning and I thought it was even better. I did make it in the slowcooker, about 10 hours on low...it was very, very, very tender. like too much, a baby with teeth could have eaten it easilly!

    ReplyDelete