Sunday, May 29, 2011

#279: Toasty Deli Hoagie


We are not a sandwich eating family.  I love sandwiches, but I am the minority.  So when I found this recipe I figured we'd give it a try and see if I could convert the girls to "my side."  :)  Brian basically ate roast beef and bread.  The girls had deli meat, cheese and mayo.  I however, made this closer to the original recipe...and I LOVED it.  I'm already looking forward to lunch tomorrow.  My goal of converting the girls was pretty much unsuccessful, but this was so good, I really don't care.  Seriously, this is 100 times better than one from Subway.  (Sorry Subway!) 
PS...don't make this on the day that you decide to start counting calories.  Do you know how many calories are in ONE piece of salami??   I had to omit it from my sandwich!  I love salami too. 

1 loaf French bread (we used brat buns)


2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli smoked turkey
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
6 slices hard salami (I omitted)
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese (I omitted)
1-1/2 cups guacamole  **see note below

Cut French bread in half lengthwise; place cut side up on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 4-5 minutes or until toasted.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic; spread over bread bottom. Layer with turkey, ham, salami, pepper, onion and cheese. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until meat is heated through; broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Spread guacamole over bread top; place over cheese. Cut into six slices.

**If you are only making one sandwich, Wholly Guacamole sells single serving 100 calorie packs**

No comments:

Post a Comment