Sunday, May 8, 2011

#263: Baked Mostaccoli


I brought this dish to my nephew's birthday party this weekend.  (Happy Birthday Dominic!) I didn't have much time to prepare/cook something and this was quick and easy to make.  I thought it was good and infact, probably going to make it again in the very near future.  :)  I made a few adjustments though:


8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli (I used 16 oz)
1-1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 1.25 lbs)
1/3 lb ground Italian Sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced (I used more like 2 or 3)
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes (I used 15 oz petite diced)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (I omitted)
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste (I omitted)
1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms (I omitted)
1/2 cup water (I omitted)
1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar (I omitted)
1 teaspoon dried basil (I used about 2 tbsp)
46 oz spaghetti sauce

1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Cook mostaccioli according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.


Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, basil, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Discard bay leaf. Stir in mostaccioli. Spoon half into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; layer with remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan (and more Mozzarella) cheese.


Cover and bake at 350 ° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment