Sunday, April 14, 2013

Homemade Idea: Hanging Kitchen Towels

(Photo on left courtesy of Pin.Sew.Press.  Photo on right is my towel.)

I have been begging my mom to let me borrow her sewing machine.  That is one area of my life that I haven't attempted yet and really think I need to.  :)  After months of asking, she finally gave it to me this weekend and since I had about 2 yards of fabric left from the girls "pillow case" dresses I made them for Easter, I knew I was ready to start sewing. 

So after Face-Timing my mom for about 30 minutes as she walked me thru how to set up the sewing machine, I was on my way.  Okay that made it sound easy. It actually involved both Brian and I holding the I-pad, 12 dropped calls, and multiple return phone calls still asking for help! 

Anyhow, I found these cute towels on Pinterest and wanted to give them a try.  How hard could it be right?  Let me tell you what I've learned in my very short time sewing...I don't have the patience for accuracy.  I don't measure hardly at all, and using a ruler to make straight lines is WAY too time consuming.  I eye-ball everything: length, straight lines, hems, so far, pretty much everything.  Oh and I don't care if it's not perfect.  It's just for me so if I double back two, or three times on the stitching and it's totally on an angle, I'm okay with that!  (Am I making any of you sewing perfectionists uncomfortable yet??)



 
So the picture on the right are two photos from Pin.Sew.Press.  This is what these are supposed to look like.  Pretty?  Yes!
Mine aren't exactly perfect but they aren't too bad for my first attempt.  After taking me about 1 1/2 hours to do the first towel I decided I didn't like everything about the sample (the fabric on the bottom is cute but it is taking away from actually using all of the towel to dry our hands!), and I figured I could do a shortcut on this and it still be functional for our family.  So I set out to make another one.  This time using my own design (of course modeled after the original still). 

Instead of putting 2 strips of fabric on the top (one is in front of the bar and one is behind), I sewed one strip of fabric and just put 2 pieces of ribbon thru the same strip.  Works for me!

By the time I did my third and final towel, I was able to crank that baby out in about 20 minutes. As you can see from the photo (on left) my version is much longer (these are the same exact towels) and gives us more surface area for drying our hands.  No it's not as cute and it hangs down a little bit but I'm okay with that.  I'm going for function here! 

Overall I'm super proud of myself for making these all on my own.  Now if I can just get my family to wipe their hands on the BACK of the towels so the fronts stay white......

No comments:

Post a Comment