Monday, April 29, 2013

#925: Buttermilk Roast Chicken


I am not one to enjoy (or make) chicken with the bone-in or skin on.  But this recipe claimed it would be worth it to make the chicken this way.  AND bone-in chicken pieces are SO much cheaper than boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  So I gave it a try.  Yep, I should have listened to my instinct that I don't like bone-in chicken.  The girls and I were not big fans.  Brian enjoyed it but I definitely prefer boneless, skinless chicken instead. 

Would I make this again for my family, no.  If you like chicken legs, then you might enjoy this. 

2 cups buttermilk
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon table salt (use a bit more if using kosher salt)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
Freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken parts
Drizzle of olive oil

In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk, garlic, salt, sugar, paprika and a generous amount of black pepper. Place chicken in a gallon-sized zip-top bag or lidded container and pour buttermilk brine over them. Make sure that all of the parts are covered. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 48 hours (24 hours being preferable).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking dish with foil (for easiest clean-up). Remove chicken from buttermilk brine and place in the dish. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with additional paprika and salt.
 
Roast for 30 minutes for legs (approximately 35 to 40 minutes for breasts) until brown and a bit scorched in spots. (Or, alternatively, until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees.)

No comments:

Post a Comment