Thursday, April 11, 2013

#906: BBQ Meatloaf Muffins


On our way home from school Allison asked what we were having for dinner.  I told her Meatloaf Muffins (but not that it was a new recipe) and she got super excited!  I didn't realize she liked meatloaf muffins that much!  We all like meatloaf muffins, except for me because I have to clean the muffin pan when we are done.  Last time I made them I tried baking them together in a cake pan.  I had grease everywhere and they were soggy.  I had to brown them up in a frying pan first.  Fail! 

This time I decided to make them in a foil lined muffin tin.  The tops were crunchier, the clean up was a snap, but the bottoms still weren't as crispy/dry as we like them.  So I think I'll have to just get used to the fact that I'll have a muffin tin to clean when done. 

Anyhow, back to
THIS recipe.  These meatloaf muffins were pretty good.  You can definitely taste the BBQ sauce in it, but we surely didn't mind.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it too.  I'd make these again. 

1 egg (I used egg substitute)
1 pound extra lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2  red pepper, minced  (I omitted)
2 ribs celery, minced  (I omitted)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 white onion, minced
1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
2 tbsp whole grain mustard  (I used yellow mustard)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non fat cooking spray.  In a small bowl, stir together the barbecue sauce and whole grain mustard.
In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef, celery, red pepper, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 of the barbecue sauce and mustard mixture. Mix until just combined to keep the meat from toughening up.

Fill each muffin tin with the meat mixture to create 12 meatloaf muffins.
I skipped this step: Then using a spoon or pastry brush, brush a layer of the barbecue sauce and mustard mixture on each muffin.
Bake for 18-22 minutes until kicked through.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment