Sunday, April 21, 2013

#919: Toddler (Veggie) Muffins


Last night I pulled some frozen pumpkin muffins out of the freezer and the kids ate them up very quickly.  So I decided that it's been a while since we had fresh muffins, so I whipped these up this morning for the kids (particularly Matthew) to eat with his meals this week. 

I let the girls try one shortly coming out of the oven and Allison proclaimed, "These are DELICIOUS!  Can I eat all of them??"  I have to admit, these are very good.  I love the added fruit/veggies in it too.  I will definitely be making these again.  In fact, I plan on making another batch and sticking them right into the freezer so we have some on hand for next week as well! 

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, or to taste
2 large bananas, mashed
1 (4.5 ounce) jar baby food squash
2 carrots, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oat bran (I used 1/4 c wheat bran and 1/4 c ground oatmeal)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt



Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 24 mini muffin cups or 12 standard muffin cups. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the mashed bananas, squash, carrots, and eggs. Stir in the flour, oat bran, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until just combined. Spoon the batter equally into the prepared muffin cups.  Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Store at room temperature for up to two days, or freeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment