Wednesday, April 3, 2013

#898: Copy Cat Honey Baked Ham


When my mom asked me if I would have Easter this year I asked if I had free reign over the menu.  She made me promise I'd make a ham (of course I would).  However, I've never made a ham before except for a small boneless one we get from Meijer that weighs about 3 lbs.  I knew this was not the kind of ham I was supposed to get.  In fact she was adamant that I needed a Honey Baked Ham.  Well I didn't know where to get one so I Googled it and was thrilled to find this recipe.  I'll admit I was also a little thrilled by the butane torch it called for using!

The recipe below is for a  3 1/2 lb ham.  My ham was 11 lbs!  I quadrupled this recipe.  And I ran to my friend Kim's house to borrow her butane torch.  :)   Personally the butane torch is not needed.  Yes I used it because I borrowed it and Kim went thru the trouble of finding it for me and dropping it off, but honestly it really didn't do anything for our meal. 

This was such an easy recipe and really, really good.  The juice and brown sugar mixture do NOT need to be doubled or quadrupled like I did.  It is way too much and I threw most of it out.  I would definitely make this again and I would say my first attempt at a ham was a success!


3 1/2- lbs ham (spiral cut smoked, fully cooked)
1/2 - cup pear or apple juice (I used a apple harvest blend)
1/2 - cup orange juice
1/2 - cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 - cup honey
hand held butane torch

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the ham, cut end down, in a large baking pan.

Mix the pear or apple juice with the orange juice in a bowl and mix.

Pour the juice mixture over the ham and bake for 15 minutes basting frequently with juices. Remove from oven.

Mix brown sugar and honey together in a small bowl.

Brush mixture over ham and bake for another hour or until internal temperature reads 140°F.

Using a butane torch carefully caramelize the glaze to the crust using small strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment