Sunday, April 14, 2013

#912: Biggest Loser White House Salad


I wanted to make this recipe for my lunch this week but I didn't want to make a new one everyday.  AND it says to serve immediately, so I made this into a mason jar salad instead.  I made 3 salads in the jars on Sunday night (but I already ate one with my dinner) and now I have a few more for lunches this week.  If you are unfamiliar with mason jar salads you just layer your ingredients, starting with the dressing and add rest on top.  Shake to combine just before serving. 

My mason jars were layered as follows (from the bottom to the top): dressing, cucumber, tomato, red onion, basil, romaine.

This salad was really good.  I think I had a little too much dressing in my first jar, but that's okay.  It also needs crunch (like bacon bits!) and some cheese or Greek olives would be great too...wait, this is getting away from the "Biggest Loser" aspect of this salad.  Okay so w/out the bacon and olives it is still good. I still really enjoyed it and I'll enjoy it the next two days  for lunches too.   

1 head of fresh lettuce (I used romaine)
1 cucumber
2 tomatoes
1/4 red onion
1 bunch fresh basil

Dressing:1/3 cup olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice 
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper, to taste 


For the salad: wash and dry the lettuce. Tear it into bite-size pieces. Peel the cucumber and cut it into bite-sized bits. Wash the tomatoes and cut them into bite sized pieces. Peel the onion and slice it as thin as possible. Wash and chop the basil into large pieces.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and basil. Toss together so the ingredients are well mixed.

For the dressing: place the dressing ingredients in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover the container and shake vigorously.  Add the dressing to the salad, toss and serve immediately.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment