Sunday, April 14, 2013

#913: Corn and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

 
I needed a healthy, filling recipe to make for lunches this week and this was the recipe I decided to go with.  Doesn't that look yummy?  Normally I don't love stuffed peppers, (although I love peppers and the filling for it) but I'm not a huge of the cooked peppers.  These are drizzled with olive oil and it gives it a great flavor.  I loved it.  I can't wait to eat these reheated for my lunch tomorrow (and the next day too I think!)
 
1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 large onion, diced
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 tbsp. taco seasoning
3 large bell peppers, halved, de-seeded
1 cup of shredded cheese
 
On a large baking sheet, place your pepper halves on them, upright and drizzle olive oil all over them and bake them in the oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until peppers are blistering and getting slightly translucent around the edges. Set aside.
 
In the meantime, in a large skillet, saute your onions in a tbsp or two of olive oil until soft. Then add in the ground turkey. Cook the turkey and onions all the way through and then add the taco seasoning. Stir to combine then add in the beans and corn.
 
Cook for about 5 minutes longer then remove from heat.  Take the (cooled) halves of peppers and place them in a small casserole dish then using a spoon, scoop the filling inside the peppers. Over stuffing is a good thing
 
Sprinkle a good amount of cheese on top of the filling, enough to cover it all, then place under the broiler on high until cheese is melted and bubbly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment