Wednesday, April 3, 2013

#900: Green Beans with Citrus Vinaigrette


I may have gone a little crazy with vegetable side dishes for Easter lunch.  I wanted to have several healthy options though.  And I cut out one or two other dishes I had planned on making.  Can you tell I come from a bigger family and enjoy cooking for a crowd.  Sometimes I can't figure out how to scale down my meals! 

This recipe looked super easy but just a tad more special than just regular green beans. I know the picture just makes it look like plain 'ole green beans but it has a nice fresh, citrus-y dressing on it.  I loved it.  It went over really well too.  Another veggie winner in my opinion!

2 pounds green beans, trimmed
5 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
3/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and add green beans. Cook beans for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, and drain. Rinse with cold water, drain, and set aside.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook 2 minutes or until shallots begin to brown, stirring constantly.

Combine the shallots, lemon rind, lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Slowly add 4 1/2 teaspoons oil, stirring well. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the beans, tossing gently to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment