Sunday, April 21, 2013

#918: Mexican Chicken Soup


I love when I find a recipe and make it easier by throwing it in the crockpot.  I'm sure it loses some of it's flavor that way but I'm all about quick and easy and will sacrifice a little taste/flavor for convenience.  I just don't have the time to stand over the stove!

I did not have a habanero pepper, so I omitted it.  This could definitely use a little heat, but I'm not a huge spicy food fan so I don't mind it not being in there.  If you like heat though, definitely use it!

I quite enjoyed this soup.  I think it would be even better with a little sour cream and crushed tortilla chips on top, but that's just how I like to eat my soups.  I love the rice in this because it gives it some nice texture.   I think some quinoa would be good in this too.  I might have to try it that way next time!

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup (dry) brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 ears of corn, kernels cut off
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, washed and diced (I omitted)
1 habanero pepper, washed and diced (I omitted)
juice of 2 limes
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cilantro chopped


Here is my version, made in the crockpot:
Cook rice according to package directions, set aside. 


Heat olive oil on medium-high heat and sear chicken breasts on both sides (you just need to brown them, they don't need to cook all the way though).  When done, place in crockpot.  Add chicken stock, paste, lime juice, paprika, cayenne, cumin, corn, black beans, salt and pepper. I also added about 2 more cups of water.  Stir to combine and cook on high for 4 hours.  Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.  Return the chicken to the crockpot.  Add cilantro and cooked rice. 


Here are the original, stove top directions. 
Cook rice according to package directions, set aside.
Saute onion, celery and habanero in olive oil on medium heat until soft 4-5 minutes. Add chicken breast and brown each side for 2 minutes.  Add 2 cups of stock, paste, lime juice, paprika, cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper.  Reduce heat to med-low and braise chicken until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred, set aside.  Add remaining broth,  fresh corn and rice, cover and simmer on med-low for another 10 minutes. Add beans and shredded chicken, cook an additional 8-10 minutes.  Serve with a lime wedge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment