Thursday, April 11, 2013

#908: Baked Oatmeal


I hate when I try a new recipe that's been sitting on one of my Pinterest Boards for a long time (ahem, 1 year!) and then make it and fall in love.  Why have I not made some of these recipes sooner?!  I made this baked oatmeal because I had all of the ingredients on hand and I wanted something a little more substantial (rather than a smoothie) for breakfast this week. 

Oh this is good!  I mean good.  Now it would have been 100 times better with some sort of chopped nut added to it but I was going for healthy.  Yes I added chocolate shaving to the mixture but just a little to give it some sweetness.  But that's still healthy.  Dark chocolate would have been even healthier!



Now if you are going to like this recipe you must like your oatmeal thick.  THICK!  I love it that way so it was right up my alley.  My friends at work asked if I was eating stuffing for breakfast.  (I told you it was thick).  I was eating it cold too but I like most of my food cold for some reason.  (Cold pizza, cold veggies, cold crockpot pork chops...you get the drift). 

I'm totally making this again.  I'll probably make it this weekend for breakfast next week.


3 cups oatmeal, either quick or old-fashioned
3/4 cups brown sugar(I used 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup oil(I omitted)
1/4 cup applesauce(I used 1/2 cup)
1 cup milk
2 beaten eggs (I used egg substitute)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 cup chocolate bar shavings


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x9-inch baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with milk and/or fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment