Saturday, April 27, 2013

#923: Taco Casserole


Taco Casserole is a bit of a stretch for this recipe name (in my opinion)...it's basically nachos.  Regardless, this is delicious.  I mean it's really, really good.  I knew the tortilla chips wouldn't reheat well so I only saved a little bit to try the next day and threw the rest away.  I shouldn't have done that because I enjoyed it the second day too (not as well but still good).  It was so good in fact, I ate it cold.  (No shock coming from me right?!)  For Brian and the kids, I made this as directed.  On my quarter of the casserole though I added corn, salsa, black beans, peppers and onions!  SO much better than their side! 

2 ounces Tortilla Chips (about 24), (yeah, I used baked chips and I used way more than 2 oz!)
1 Tbsp Chili Oil (I used PAM spray)
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 pound Ground Chicken ( I used ground turkey)
2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
1 can Black Beans, drained
1 cup Salsa
1 cup shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
Heat oven to 350.  Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sautee until soft. Add meat and taco seasoning. Cook, breaking up meat with a spatula, for about 5 minutes. Add beans and salsa. Mix well and continue to cook until salsa thickens.
 
Line the bottom of a large baking dish with tortilla chips, pressing down on them lightly to break them into bite-sized pieces. Spread the meat and bean mixture over the chips and top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and gooey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment