Sunday, April 21, 2013

#916: Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore


This recipe was very easy to make and smelled wonderful as it cooked in the crockpot on the counter.  It required minimal ingredients, so there's a good chance you might already have everything on hand.  I'm not a fan of bone-in chicken so I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. 

Oh and my family won't eat crushed tomatoes, so I used diced tomatoes and pureed it in the blender, then added a can of tomato sauce to it to thicken it up.   

This went over just okay with my family.  The kids didn't like the chicken, and Brian and I thought it was okay.  I served this over whole wheat spaghetti noodles which pretty much was the only thing the kids ate.  I'd would eat this again, but I don't think I would make this again for my family.  It just wasn't a crowd pleaser in this house.

8 chicken thighs, with the bone, skin removed
28 oz can crushed tomatoes (see my note above)
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 large onion, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 bay leaf
salt and fresh pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh herbs such as basil or parsley for topping

Heat a large skillet over medium-high, lightly spray with oil and brown chicken on both sides a few minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add to the slow cooker. To the skillet, spray with a little more oil and add onions and peppers. Sauté until juices release and the vegetables become golden, a few minutes.

Add to the slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over the chicken and vegetables, add oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, give it a quick stir and cover. Set crock pot to LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.

Remove bay leaf, adjust salt and pepper and enjoy!


According to the original website, 1 chicken thigh, 1/2 cup sauce and veggies = 4ww+ pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment