Sunday, April 21, 2013

#917: Layered Broccoli Salad Recipe


As you can see from the photo above, this recipe surely doesn't look "layered" as it says in the recipe title.  If you were making this for a crowd and taking it to an event, it would be a great, layered recipe served in a clear bowl of trifle dish.  I was making this for myself so layering it just didn't seem like a necessary step. 

Regardless of your presentation though, this salad is delicious.  I don't like uncooked broccoli but I loved this.  Shockingly, so did Matthew.  (He just ate the broccoli tops, but at least he ate it!)  I will definitely make this again and would make again for a family party.  I'm going to try throwing this into my small mason jars and eat for lunch this week.  Yum!

6 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2/3 cup dried cranberries (I used raisins)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sunflower kernels
2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (I used real bacon bits)

In a large glass bowl, layer the broccoli, onion and cranberries. Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, honey and vinegar; drizzle over salad. Sprinkle with cheese, sunflower kernels and bacon. Yield: 8 servings.


According to the original website 3/4 c = 6 ww+ pts.  But you could easily make this lighter by using non-fat/low-fat ingredients, and cutting down on the cheese, nuts and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment