Saturday, July 19, 2014

#1,295: Crunchy Paleo Cabbage Salad

I think I may have a new favorite salad/lunch recipe.  I love this recipe because I can buy a bag of shredded coleslaw mix, layer all the other ingredients in a mason jar the night before, and make the dressing ahead of time too.  I took this recipe to my sister's house when I was meeting her and a friend for the day.  My salad literally took me 1 minute to throw together.  It was so simple.  I loved this! And I added some ground turkey taco meat on top for a complete, no-carb dinner.  Delish!  


1 pound cabbage, shredded or finely sliced
½ pound bacon (I used turkey bacon)
2 green onions, finely chopped
½ cucumber, diced
¼ cups toasted, slivered almonds (I used cashew pieces)
¼ cups sunflower seeds (I omitted)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I omitted)
Optional: dried cranberries and/or diced apple

Balsamic Dressing (Makes about 1 cup):
¼ cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon honey
½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon herbs of choice (oregano, basil, thyme, tarragon)
½ cups olive oil, extra-virgin

Finely slice or shred your cabbage, toss into a salad bowl along with the other salad ingredients.
Make your dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.

Toss the salad with the dressing, to taste. Start with less, you can always add more!

No comments:

Post a Comment