Wednesday, July 16, 2014

#1,286: Chewy Coconut Bars


It's recipes like this one, that make me totally blow my diet and go off my food plan.  This seriously was so good I had to put all the leftovers in the freezer to get them out of sight.  I would have been happy to eat these frozen though too.  They are SO good, but I love pretty much anything that gets served in a bar form.  :) 


2 cups all-purpose flour
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 2/3 cup shortening (I used butter)
 2 cups packed brown sugar
 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used about 1 tbsp)
 3 eggs
 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used an entire bag)
 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I used 1+ cups)
 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used at least 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Slowly blend in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. Spread the mixture evenly in pan.


Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting into bars.

2 comments: